It’s been a little while since I’ve been diagnosed with a dairy allergy, but not long enough that I’ve figured out alternatives to a lot of my favorite bakes or meals. That being said, I’ve finally found a way to update my mom’s berry bread recipe that doesn’t taste dry.
It took a few attempts to get it right and may continue to evolve over time. For example, one of my next attempts may be to try coconut cream. (I worry that it will alter the flavor so have been too chicken to give it a try)
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tbs Stevia (or 1 cup of sugar)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 butter alternative (I like Earth Balance)
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of berries (I recommend blueberries or cranberries — frozen or fresh!)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt nutmeg, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Melt butter alternative.
- In a small bowl, beat two eggs.
- Add butter alternative and orange juice to beaten eggs.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ones, mix well.
- Fold in berries.
- Spoon into greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
Personally, I enjoy this bread after it’s been grilled on the stovetop with a little more of the butter spread or with an over-easy egg on top of it. Just be careful, my partner and I can eat a loaf in a weekend!